I'm going to be sharing about something that a lot of women experience as we go through menopause - that dreaded weight gain, typically around your middle. Contrary to popular belief, it's not just because we're eating too much or not working out enough. There are actually a few specific foods that could be causing the problem. So if you're struggling to lose those last few stubborn pounds, here are five likely culprits to investigate.
- Dairy products - we all know cheesy and creamy foods are delicious, but dairy can actually be pretty acidic which causes inflammation in the body for a lot of people. I can definitely notice a difference in my body when I eliminate it! Thankfully, there are lots of non-dairy substitutes available these days.
- Processed foods - Unfortunately, typical processed foods like white rice and pasta, are linked to spikes in blood sugar and an increase in insulin resistance, as well as hot flashes. Consider an occasional indulgence of these foods if not cutting them out completely.
- Alcoholic beverages - Again this is best left as a once-in-a-while treat. Alcoholic drinks create inflammation in your body. It can leave you struggling with sleep, which can lead to feelings of anxiousness and sadness. Regular drinks can also attribute to weight gain.
- Sugary foods and drinks - This may be one of the hardest things to give up, but also the best thing you can do. It sneaks into everything, especially drinks, so read those labels as sugar spikes contribute to weight gain as well.
- Refined grains - I've been gluten-free for over 11 years. I went gluten-free because I was having headaches and migraines, backaches, bloating, brain fog, and lots of inflammation. And when I eliminated gluten from my diet all of that went away. So get to know your grains and see what your body responds best to.
So hopefully now you have a good idea of where to start experimenting with what helps you feel your best. And if this interests you, this is my jam and I love helping women with this! Grab my Beat the Midlife Funk Guide for more tips!
Wishing you love, peace, and joy always,
Love what you see here?
Follow Sheri on social media!